Monday, October 22, 2012

Meet the Vendor: Jill Flory


Tell us about yourself.
My name is Jill Flory and I am from Covington, Ohio.  I am ‘one who sews’ – and designs and dreams and decorates!  I will attempt almost anything that takes needle and thread, and I love being able to design the things I make. I also like to paint furniture to use for props when I set up my handmade wares for sale.  My props are then for sale too.

How did you end up blogging and selling your creations?
I started sewing when I was about 8 years old.  And I’ve been sewing ever since.  I have always loved doing creative things and that comes out in things I make, in decorating my home, and in designing my own patterns occasionally.

I started blogging in 2008, just for fun.    In the fall of 2011 I realized that blogging could be much more than just a hobby and I started doing some research and thinking about it a lot.  In January of 2012 I began creating my wordpress blog.  I made the switch from blogger about April of this year. I designed my blog myself by purchasing the Genesis framework and a theme and then customizing the theme to fit my look.  I blog about the things I make, painting projects, home décor, sewing tutorials occasionally {I call them couture snippets}, my family, and anything else that I want to blog about!

My biggest influence in taking my blog from a hobby to part of my business was my sister.  She had done a lot of research on blogging before starting her own blog and I asked her a lot of questions about it and it was her info that ultimately convinced me to make the switch.  My Mother was my biggest influence in my sewing career – she taught me how!

How do your creations come about?
I create the best when I am inspired.  I can find inspiration in lots of places – exactly where depends on what I need to create.  I will go online and just browse beautiful pictures and ideas if I don’t feel the creativity flowing.  Or I dig out a pile of fabric and ribbon and just start trying things to see what I like together.


What can we expect to see from you at the market?
At this show I will be bringing camera straps, key chains, my sewing kits, some Christmas stockings, pillows, ruffled leggings for the little girls in your life, slip covered ottomans, and whatever other goodies I come up with! I’m thinking about coming up with some more Christmas themed items.

I love being able to meet new people and make new friends.  Networking is one of my favorite things about my blog and about setting up at shows and events.  I hope that I can provide some lovely things that you can purchase for Christmas gifts or just to treat yourself!  And I look forward to shopping all the other vendors too – I know I will come home with some great new stuff, a stack of business cards and some new friends!  Growing my business outreach is another wonderful thing about coming to this show as a vendor.            

Thanks for taking the time to share with us, Jill!  If you want to learn more about Jill, you can check out her blog at http://www.sewafineseam.com/ .  Be sure to join us for Not Your Mama's Craft Market on November 24 to check out her work and lots of other great vendors!







1 comment:

  1. Fun to see this up on the blog! I will be blogging about the craft market soon and linking here!

    ReplyDelete