Thursday, November 15, 2012

Meet the Vendor: Carrie Schaefer




Tell us about yourself. 
I am a Mommy of 3 beautiful little girls and wife to a really good man. We raise our little family in Plain City, a small rural community in central Ohio. 
How did you get into crafting? 
I come from a family of truly gifted artisans and craftswomen. The women on my Mother's side of the family have been prolific crafters my whole life and most likely their whole lives. Needless to say, I've been making things with my hands since I was a young girl. 
When I was about 10, my dream was to own my own craft store. Specifically, a macrame' shop. (Macrame' was very hip and cool in the mid 70's.)  Picture an old book store with lots of built-in, floor-to-ceiling hard wood bookshelves.  I would carry every type of macrame' yarn and bead in every color imaginable. I remember it like it was yesterday.

After I got married, I started my own custom slipcover business.  There was a very high demand for slipcovers and very few people making them.  Let me just say that I was BUSY!  Too busy as we were starting our young family.  I put that business aside when I was pregnant with my second child.  A few years ago, when my youngest was about 4, I started sewing again.  Mostyly little things here and there as gifts.  My friends and family seemed to really like the bags that I was making and prodded me toward trying to sell them at local craft fairs and shops.  I heeded their advice and Petal Handmade Handbags was born.  And now, here I am.... with my own little craft store of sorts. Not a macrame' shop but I put my whole heart into it just the same.

What can we expect from you at the craft market?
I personally design and make every bag that I sell.  I use only excellent quality materials when constructing my handbags.  Most of the fabrics I use are designer fabrics from artists such as Amy Butler, from Granville, Ohio, Joel Dewberry, Anna Maria Horner and Pat Bravo.  I will be offering many new designs at Not Your Mama's Craft Market and lots of smaller stocking stuffer items.  Of course, I will have lots of my most popular designs as well.

 What inspires you?
I find inspiration in many places.  I often find inspiration while shopping.  I love retail window displays.  Sometimes the creativity blows me away.  I am also inspired by color and pattern.  A simple geometric pattern has been known to inspire a new bag design.  More than anything else though, I am inspired by the people in my life.  I love to sit back and watch how people interact with one another.  A conversation with a good friend about trying to grocery shop with their toddler in tow can be inspirational to me.
Why do you want to be a part of this market?
Being surrounded by creative people is exactly why I am so excited for Not Your Mama's Craft Market.  I can't wait to spend a whole day with people who have a passion for creating unique items and others who appreciate the talent, workmanship and time that these artisans put into each piece they create.  I know I will leave this market feeling creatively fulfilled and inspired - perfect timing for the impending holiday season!  Hope to see you all there as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment