Monday, November 19, 2012

Meet the Vendor: Katy Sanford

Tell us about you, where your from and what you do.

My name is Katy Sanford and I'm an interior designer and artist from West Liberty Ohio. My husband and I moved to Marysville 7 years ago after we graduated from Bowling Green State University. We have a 5 year old son, and a 3 year old daughter that are little artists in the making.
 My parents were extremely supportive while I was growing up and allowed me to experiment and paint just about everything in the house! A lot of my early creations are still on the walls!
What got you started in your crafting business? 

I have worked as a desiner and painter for the last 10 years and it has slowly developed as a way for me to stay connected with my self while raising my kids. Most of my business started out by creating something for myself, someone seeing it and then getting hired to make more! 
Who was your biggest influence?
My biggest influence is definitley my mom. She has a very creative soul and on some level understands my need to paint. Every artist is inspired by other artists. It doesn't matter to me what medium you use, if there is passion behind it, I am inspired. 
 
What is your creative process?
I sketch a lot. I fill them up pretty fast and keep them on the shelf as reference books when finished.I will be inspired by color combinations I see or a certain image in a magazine possibly and then feel a need to draw for a few days. I am a pretty impulsvie person so if I see something I want to sketch, I drop everything to do it. My kids are huge fans of this! (ha!) 

What can we expect from you for this show?
I have recently gotten into flea markets and auctions and fallen in love with old windows. I painted one for my living room, fell in love with it and decided to create more. I do a lot of furniture re-purposing. One of my favorite styles of art is taking something old and breathing new life into it, making others see it differently. I wanted to add a contemporary twist to vintage items.
Why do you want to be here?
I really want to show others that I am always reinventing myself. Just when something starts to work, I change it up and create a new challenge. I really want to see what my peers are doing as well and draw inspiration from them.
---

Don't forget that Not Your Mama's Craft Market is only FIVE days away!  Are you sharing this event with your family and friends?  Find easy ways to share at www.facebook.com/notyourmamascraftmarket

No comments:

Post a Comment